Monday, November 15, 2010

What's in a name

Well, yesterday I went on about my nickname and have been thinking a little further about names and there meanings. My real name means "a gift from God" - now that's really cool since I am sure I was a surprise, was born premature and have right from the start had miracles happen in my life. Names are not what they are cracked up to be at all and some parents are not very considerate at all when you here some of the names around and about like Peter Peters or John Johns.
I get called Shan very seldom, most times it is Shancade, Kate, Chan, Kaade, and various other versions .. generally speaking now when people struggle with my name I just give them the go ahead to say "hey you"... now is that the right thing to do I wonder?
Some people get so offended when their names are not pronounced correctly or spelt correctly or even that you dont know what nationality it is....... really a name is a name, it is not who you are personally!!! In South Africa today I wonder how everyone copes with the names like Quo, or other Zulu names .... it beats me.

No comments:

Post a Comment